“Time for submitting nomination paper is over, there is no chance to extend the schedule"



Staff Correspondent, Barta24.com,Dhaka
photo: Barta24

photo: Barta24

  • Font increase
  • Font Decrease

According to the schedule announced for the upcoming 12th Jatiya Sangsad(JS) elections, the deadline for filing nominations was fixed till November 30. It has already crossed that time. Election Commission Secretary Jahangir Alam said that there is no time and opportunity to extend this deadline.

He said this at a press conference at Agargaon election building media center on Thursday (November 30) afternoon.

EC Secretary said, you are already informed; the pre-fixed date of November 30 was the last day for submission of nomination papers. The deadline for submission of nomination papers is 4 pm. The Election Commission thinks that this period will not be extended. As a result, the deadline for submission of nomination papers has ended today as per the announced schedule.

Then, in response to the question of the journalists, what election is being held without BNP, he said, you understand it.

He further said that the candidates have submitted their nomination papers to the Returning Officer and Assistant Returning Officer. We will be able to tell tomorrow Friday (December 1) how many parties are participating in which seat, total number of candidates.

He said that the senior secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs had met him regarding the observance of the code of conduct. In particular, the IGP informed the overall issue. He said that the law and order situation is under control. The Senior Secretary of the Ministry of Public Administration has come to know whether there is any instruction or not. Later take action accordingly.

Besides, some candidates have been summoned by our election inquiry committee for violating the code of conduct at some places. Also Executive Magistrates are also working through Returning Officers. They continued their activities.

Several parties have not yet submitted their nomination papers. In response to the question that the time has already expired - is there any other opportunity, the EC Secretary further said that there is no opportunity to extend this limit as the deadline has passed.

According to the schedule announced by the Election Commission, the polling for the 12th parliamentary election will be held on January 7. According to EC data, 26 registered political parties have responded to the Election Commission regarding participation so far. According to EC information, 18 parties including BNP have not given any letter to the commission to participate in the elections. The total number of political parties registered by the Election Commission is 44.

   

Education system to be brought into a framework: Education Minister



Staff Correspondent, Barta24.com
photo: Collected

photo: Collected

  • Font increase
  • Font Decrease

Education Minister Mohibul Hasan Chowdhury Naufel is emphasizing on teaching government education up to an age limit in Qawmi madrasas. He was also said to work with Befaqul Madarisil Arabia (Befaq), the regulatory body of Qaumi Madrasahs, on the issue.

The minister said that unregistered madrasas are being built all over the country, leading to a decrease in attendance in government primary schools. Calling it a big challenge for all, he said, "It has to be resolved."

The minister said these things in response to questions from journalists after the working session of the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Primary Education at the Osmani Auditorium on Sunday evening.

Naufel also said that the government is also thinking about the educational program of Qawmi Madrasa. He said, 'Up to an age limit there is to follow the National Curriculum. Otherwise the students will not be able to acquire the desired qualifications and skills. For this, I will work with Befaq.

The minister also mentioned about sitting with the leaders and boards of Qaumi Madrasa last year. He said, there was a discussion about whether the age at which education is supposed to be attained in the madrasa is being ensured or not.

For this reason, NCTB has sent the books prepared in their curriculum (madrasa) to Qaumi. They have been verified.

Highlighting the topic of giving equivalent to master's degree to the highest certificate of Qaumi Madrasa, Dawrae Hadith, Naufel said, "However, there are allegations that those students are not getting that qualification at the field level. We want those studying in Qaumi Madrasas to get the minimum education they are supposed to attain within an age range. We will work towards that goal. In this case they also have to be strict. The education system should be brought into a framework.

Asked what the DCs said, the education minister said, "The issue of unregistered madrassas came up." It has been said by the district administration, due to the spread of these institutions, even though students are enrolled in the primary education of the government, there is a decrease in attendance.

Asked what the government is thinking, Naufel said, "We will discuss in the future whether such an institution (Nurani Madrasa) can be closed during the general education program."

He also said, 'The attendance rate will increase in unregistered institutions, attendance will decrease in institutions run by the government's curriculum, which is never desirable. In this regard, we will work with the field administration and the Ministry of Primary and Mass Education. How Befaq is registering them through six boards, we have to work with them.

Stating that the field administration has conducted a survey across the country with the law enforcement agencies regarding the registration of Qaumi Madrasahs, he said, "We will work with the Ministry of Home Affairs on that too."

To a question about sexual harassment in educational institutions, the minister said, "Even when criminal incidents occur, a defense is given to the Anti-Sexual Harassment Committee by arguing that 'complaints are under investigation'." Whether the committee investigates or not, so that the police can take action according to the prevailing laws of the country, we do not stop it.

Naufel said that the DCs talked a lot about the new curriculum in the school, "They did not talk about any negative experience about it." As a result, we can assume that the teaching learning process of the curriculum has been accepted by teachers and parents.

;

Massive clashes in Rakhine state: Teknaf is shaken by the explosion



District Correspondent, Barta24.com, Teknaf(Cox’s Bazar)
photo: Collected

photo: Collected

  • Font increase
  • Font Decrease

The country's security forces launched mortar shells and bombs from the air on Sunday (March 3) from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm in Bolibazar area, north of Mangdu Township, Rakhine State, Myanmar.

In response, the armed group Arakan Army counter-attacked from the ground. The shelling-explosion caused earthquakes in some unions of Teknaf. At that time, many people left their homes and took shelter in safe places. However, from 12:00 noon to evening there was intermittent firing between the two sides, but no helicopters were seen flying in the sky.

Meanwhile, several hundred people of Teknaf's Hoikang Union are in trouble due to the tension on the border. They earn their livelihood by farming shrimps and crabs on the border of Naf river. Due to the conflict, they are not able to come down. Apart from this, due to the problem at the border, there has been a deadlock in Teknaf land port.

Across the Naf River is Rakhine State opposite the five unions of Teknaf and Ukhia, Hoikyong, Hanila, Teknaf Sadar, Sabrang and Palangkhali. Mangdu Township is located opposite Teknaf Pourashava in the middle of the north-south long state. To the west of Mangdu is the Naf River, with the towering Kaladan Hills behind (to the east).

For three days, shelling and mortar shelling have been happening in the villages of Kumarkhali, Bolibazar, Naichadong, Kwachidong, Shilkhali, Karyiprang, Perangpru in the northern part of Mangdu town. There, the Arakan Army clashed with the government forces over the capture and recovery of the border post.

According to several border sources, on Saturday night, the Arakan Army attacked several border posts of the country's Border Guard Police (BGP) in Bolibazar area and captured several posts. Government forces attacked from the air on Sunday afternoon to recover the post. From Mangd township, helicopters flying north to Bolibazar, dropping mortar shells and bombs and returning to Mangdu can be seen from here.

Driver Ali Ahmad (45), who lives in a small house under the Netong hill on the banks of the Naf river, said, "For three days, the most explosions are in a few villages north of Mangdu city. The attack was carried out from the plane on Sunday afternoon.

Hanila Union Parishad (UP) Chairman Rashed Mohammad Ali said that there are reports of violent clashes between the Arakan Army and the government forces in Rachidong-Buthidaung Township in the southeast of Mangdu. The Arakan Army is attacking Mangdu city from three sides. Government forces still control parts of the Naf River in western Rakhine State.

Panel Mayor Mujibur Rahman of Teknaf Pourashava said that 60-70 mortar shells exploded in several villages around Mangdu from Saturday evening to Sunday evening. In this, earthquakes were created in Jaliapara, Chowdhurypara, Kulalpara, Dailpara of Teknaf pourashava. The previous two nights were the same. Children started crying in fear during the earthquake. When this conflict in Rakhine will stop, no one knows.

Teknaf upazila Nirbahi officer (UNO) Adnan Chowdhury said that there were incidents of shooting and mortar shelling in the villages around Mangdu, but there was no news of the shooting at Teknaf border till evening. People in the border areas are advised to keep a safe distance.

;

IGP orders to stop extortion



Staff Correspondent, Barta24.com
photo: Collected

photo: Collected

  • Font increase
  • Font Decrease

Inspector General of Police (IGP) Chowdhury Abdullah Al-Mamun has ordered the senior police officers to increase the rate of punishment in the case and take strict measures to stop all forms of extortion.

The IGP gave the directive in the first session of the last day of Police Week 2024 on Sunday (March 3) morning at a conference of senior police officers. He expressed satisfaction that the rate of conviction in the present case has increased.

Apart from this, he ordered the members of all units of the police to perform their duties properly in order to stop extortion.

The IGP said, "As a result of the police performing their duties with professionalism, the level of public expectation towards the police has increased."

He called upon the police officers to discharge their duties with sincerity and dedication in order to gain public trust as per the expectations of the people.

Additional IGP (Administration)Kamrul Ahsan spoke on the occasion. Additional IGP (Crime and Operations) Atiqul Islam and president of the conference-related sub-committee gave a welcome speech.

At that time RAB Director General M Khurshid Hossain, Additional IGP of Special Branch Monirul Islam and other senior police officers were present.

The meeting discussed measures to prevent juvenile crime, strengthening community policing activities, creative and innovative policing etc.

;

Bailey Road Tragedy: DNA tests on bodies may take longer time



Staff Correspondent, Barta24.com
photo: Collected

photo: Collected

  • Font increase
  • Font Decrease

The bodies of two of those who died in the deadly fire at Green Cozy Cottage building on Bailey Road in the capital are in the mortuary of Dhaka Medical College Hospital mortuary. DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) has been collected after postmortem. The body will be handed over to the relatives only after the results of the DNA test.

But this may take a long time. It may take 1 to 6 months, said those concerned. As a result, the relatives could not identify the two bodies.

The DNA test of the body is being done at the forensic lab of the Police's Criminal Investigation Department (CID). Lab sources said how long it will take depends on the symptoms. However, DNA from cremated bodies is time-consuming.

A senior official of CID's forensic lab said, "We have just taken up DNA testing." DNA samples of their relatives have been taken. There are some complications in this case; it may take a lot of time.

When asked how much time it will take, he said, "Can't be specific." It depends on the symptoms. Taking blood samples takes less time. But teeth and bones take more time. Our work has a lot of pressure, capacity issues as well. All together may take 1 month and may take 6 months.

Dhaka Additional District Magistrate AKM Hedayetul Islam, who is in charge of handing over the dead bodies, said, 'After the DNA test, the remaining bodies will be handed over to the relatives. As it is a technical matter, it is not possible to say how much time it will take to complete this process.

On Thursday night, 46 people were killed in a terrible fire at the Green Cozy Cottage building on Bailey Road in the capital. The bodies of 44 of them were handed over. The remaining two bodies are claimed by two families. The family claimed that one of them belonged to Nazmul Hossain, son of Alhaj Nazrul Islam, a resident of Rampura Bansri in the capital. According to the family's claim, at the time of the incident, four friends of the Nazmuls went to eat at Kacchi Bhai restaurant.

The other body is that of journalist Abhishruti Shastri. Nazmul Hossain's body was burnt and mutilated, but Abhisruti's body remained intact. Abhishruti's father Sabuj Sheikh claimed that the deceased's name is not Abhishruti Shastri, but Brishti Khatun. Their house is in Bangram of Khoksa in Kushtia. However, Ramana Kalimandir authorities claimed that Abhishruti belongs to Hindu religion and her name is Abhishruti Shastri.

Utpal Barua, Officer-in-Charge (OC) of Ramna Police Station of Dhaka Metropolitan Police said, "Due to religious complications, the body of the woman will be handed over to the rightful claimant through the court after the DNA test."

On Sunday (March 3) at noon, he went to the mortuary and talked to a mortuary assistant. He said that the autopsy of the two bodies was completed on Saturday. DNA samples were collected and given to the police. Later, the bodies were kept in cold storage in two morgues.

;